Project Description

different cocktails on a table

DISCLAIMER: This In Brief section offers a series of business, real estate, employment, estate planning and tax bulletins prepared by the attorneys at Fauver, Large, Archbald & Spray, LLP. This is not exhaustive, nor is it legal advice. You should discuss your particular situation with us or with your own attorney. Our legal representation is only undertaken through a written engagement letter and not by the distribution or use of this information.

Q: “What are the main alcoholic beverage license types?”

Based on the information provided by the ABRA, there are several alcoholic beverage license types:

  • Manufacturer: Operates a plant that manufactures spirits, wine (including cider) or beer.
  • Wholesaler: Sells alcoholic beverages to other District ABC licensees for resale.
  • Off-premise retailer: A store where alcoholic beverages may be purchased but may only be consumed off of the licensed premises or an Internet site where alcohol can be ordered online.
  • On-premise retailer: An establishment where alcoholic beverages may be purchased and consumed on the licensed premises. On-premises retailers include restaurants, taverns, nightclubs, hotels, bed and breakfasts, theaters, museums, sports facilities, passenger-carrying ships and trains.
  • Caterer: Sells and serves alcoholic beverages at catered events as part of the licensee’s preparation and service of food.
  • Festival License: Temporarily permits the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages at sporting or performing arts events for up to 15 days.
  • Temporary License: Temporarily permits the sale and service of alcoholic beverages for up to four days at banquets, picnics, bazaars, fairs or similar public gatherings.
  • ABC Manager: Individual certified to manage one or more ABC establishments.
  • Solicitor: Permitted to transport samples of alcoholic beverages to ABC-licensed establishments on behalf of a vendor and to take orders on behalf of the vendor that the solicitor represents.

For more beverage and hospitality industry-related information, visit our Beverage and Hospitality practice area page.